Cooking Over Fire - Vol.1
Welcome to Cooking Over Fire - The Series…
Life doesn’t quite taste like it used to, our beloved restaurants have closed and COVID-19 has seen us confined to our own homes for the past five weeks. We’re all missing the culinary expertise our favourite restaurants have to offer, our own culinary skills just don’t match up... That’s why we are partnering with Birmingham’s finest independent restaurants to bring you exclusive wood-burning recipes to recreate at home.
We are kicking things off seriously with Matthew Wilden, Head Chef from Poli with his N’duja and white wine mussels. One of Matt’s personal favourites which has a broth that’s “so f***ing good you could pour it in a glass and drink it”.
For this recipe, you will need:
- 1 large tbsp Nduja
- 200g Mussels cleaned
- 1/2 small banana Shallot thinly sliced
- 1 clove of Garlic sliced
- 100g White wine
- 80g San Marzano tomatoes blitzed
- Parsley to garnish
- Pinch of Fennel pollen (if you’re feeling boujee)
- Get an ovenproof saucepan hot in a wood oven (not too hot!)
- Add the nduja and render (keep the dish near the mouth so you can control the cooking)
- Add the garlic and chopped shallots and lightly sweat in the nduja fat.
- In a bowl add the cleaned mussels and white wine
- Carefully pull the saucepan out of the oven and pour in the mussels and white wine cover with the pan or lid and place back into the wood oven.
- Leave for one min and check to see if the mussels have opened if so take the lid off and add the tomatoes and heat through.
- Pour into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and fennel pollen. Serve with fresh bread.